The Lord is our shepherd.
During these difficult times this page will be used to give you any information that is given to us from the Archdiocese and Deanery. This will hopefully guide and help us and through our prayers the issues will soon be resolved.
This page and the Topics/Bulletin page will be updated whenever new information is forthcoming. Additional new information and topical news is also on the Topics/Bulletin page
We update the information here every week.
Masses this week:
2nd August 2020 Eighteenth Sunday of Ordinary Time
Prayer of the Church: Week 2
Saturday 1st August 18:00 St. Bede’s
Sunday 2nd August 9:15 St. Chad’s 11:00 St. Bede’s
Monday 3 rd August 9:15 St. Chad’s
Tuesday 4 th August 9:15 St. Bede’s
Thursday 6 th August 9:15 St. Chad’s
Friday 7 th August 9:15 St. Bede’s
Saturday 8 th August 18:00 St. Bede’s
Sunday 9 th August 9:15 St. Chad’s
11:00 St. Bede’s
Mass Intentions: 2 nd August Melanie and Eve
Preston. 4 th August Private Intentions M. Drinkwater
7 th August Mark Ridgeway (RIP). 8 th August Anne
If anyone would like to volunteer as a steward or a cleaner during and after Masses
please ring the parish office for more details.
Mass Offering: If you want a Mass said for a particular intention for yourself or
a friend, please ring the parish office.
Please pray for our sick and housebound
Syd Newton, George Morris, Peter Deacon, Amy
Greenhalgh, Vincent Cahill, Margaret Gray, Thomas
Hesse, Ray Briant, Winifred Baxendale, Julie K, Pat
Johnson, Robert Rainford, Brenda Wrightson, Maria
Reynolds, Richard Farnworth, Eileen Ainscough,
Tony Morris, Marie Barnish, Eileen Farnworth, Helen
Witte, Connie Foy and Mark Smith. The residents of
Highcliffe, Greenways, Brookside, Meadow Bank
Nursing Homes and Brookhaven.
Please pray for Rosalia Lakot, Francis Flood
(Bernard’s brother), Peter Fishwick and Anne
Henrys, who died recently. May they rest in peace.
We pray also for their families that God may comfort
Masses will continue to be streamed on our parish Facebook Page (look for ‘Parishes of St Chad and St Bede’ and request to join the group) and at St Gregory’s Church (go to www.stgregorychorley.org.uk). Follow St Chad’s & St Bede’s on Facebook! We have a group to enable us all to stay more closely in touch with each other, particularly during these days when we do not meet weekly as we’ve been used to. Everyone is invited to take a look and join if they wish. Look for “Parishes of St Chad & St Bede” https://www.facebook.com/groups/232935341437045/
Readings of the day, click on the following link: https://www.magnificat.com/free
NB. It is important to emphasise that the Sunday obligation has not been re-instated; people who are shielding or at risk should not feel obliged to attend any mass; people who have had any symptoms of COVID 19 should not attend for at least 14 days after the symptoms first appeared. Those who can are encouraged to attend a weekday mass so that those who cannot, can attend at the weekend without the churches being overcrowded. Restrictions that will be in place include the wearing of face masks and giving personal details for track and trace purposes. Social distancing of 1 metre+ will be observed and so maximum numbers of 80 (St Gregory’s) and 120 (St Mary’s) are allowed. If you follow this link you will see a short video showing what returning to Mass will be like with the new rules in place to keep us safer. click here to view
- Never come to church if you have a high temperature, a new persistent cough or have lost your sense of taste or smell. Call 111 and ask for advice.
- Please note that both our Churches will only have around 30 places available. As places in church are limited we may not be able to accommodate everyone who would like to attend.
- If people come to church with people from their household or “bubble” they will be able to sit together so more people will be able to attend Mass.
- Please follow the instructions of our stewards.
- Please bring a face covering which must be worn while you are in church.
- Please use hand sanitiser on entering and leaving church.
- Follow the signs which indicate a one-way system for moving around church.
- Church will only open ten minutes before Mass begins.
- Holy Communion will be distributed at the very end of Mass and you will walk directly out of church after receiving Holy Communion.
- Do not gather in groups outside church before or after Mass.
- The obligation to attend Mass on Sunday has been suspended. If you are able please attend Mass on a weekday to leave room for those who are working and can only attend Mass at the weekend.
- We are required to take contact details, (name and telephone number), of everyone who attends Mass, for the government track and trace programme. If you are able to bring your contact details on a piece of paper and drop it into the box at the entrance to church that would be a help.
- Entry to church through the presbytery is currently suspended.
- The sacristy is closed to the parish. Only the priest should be handling the things we need for Mass.
· There will be few ministries exercised during Mass until further notice apart from the priest and readers. There will be no music, Little Church, special ministers of Holy Communion, collectors etc.
Face coverings and social distancing do no remove all risk of catching Covid 19. If you are at particular risk from the disease please consider the risk very carefully before deciding to return to attending Mass. People have asked if they are OK to attend Mass if they are over 70. There is no definite answer to that. People have to make their own decisions according to the risk they face from Covid 19. No one will be turned away at the door on account of their age. We will continue to stream our Masses on our parish Facebook page “Parishes of St Chad and St Bede” and St Gregory’s in Chorley will also be streaming Masses each day on their parish website.
An important letter from Pope Francis and two prayers to Our Lady more
Our Lady’s Shrine, Walsingham All Masses, Services, Benediction, Exposition etc are available by 24 /7 live streaming. Three Masses every day and Exposition throughout the night. www.walsingham.org.uk/livestream/
Mass Intentions: Fr Mark invites anyone who would like a Mass to be said for a particular intention to get in touch with him on Tel. No 01257 460154 or by email.
Isolated Parishioners If you know any parishioner who might be feeling a bit isolated Fr Mark would be very happy to ring them if you think that would help. Please ring Father or send an e-mail. Thanks.
Important: Holy Communion whilst in hospital.
Please contact St. Joseph’s Presbytery if any of your family is admitted to Chorley Hospital 01257 262713.
If any family member is admitted to Preston Hospital, please inform the chaplain on 01772 522435.
If any family member is admitted to Wigan Infirmary, please inform the chaplain on 01942 822324.
This request comes from the respective hospital chaplains.
While our parish offices are closed this joint newsletter will be produced for both our parishes and placed on our notice boards and websites.
The Holy Rosary. To seek divine help through the crisis that we all find fearful a daily scripture reading is on the Topics/Bulletin and Forum page to accompany the saying of the Mysteries of the Rosary.
The Elderly, Sick and Housebound. Please could we remember the elderly, sick and housebound. Give them a telephone call, a few minutes of your time will mean an awful lot. Please continue to support each other and let us keep each other in our prayers.You might like to write a list of the people you are particularly holding in your prayers at this difficult time and keep it with you. Read through it slowly at different times of the day.
There is a nice time of prayer to follow on the website of the Salesians which has been produced for this time. http://www.salesians.org.uk/news-articles/featured-news/when-i-can-t-get-to-church.html
St Bede’s is a Catholic church within the Chorley Deanery belonging to the Archdiocese of Liverpool. We are a medium sized parish set on the A6 between Chorley and Preston. Please do not hesitate to contact us if we can be of any assistance.
Parish Priest Father Mark Beattie
598 Preston Road, Clayton Green, Chorley.
Tel: 01772 335209 If there is no answer on this number and you need to talk to Fr Mark please call 01257 460154